Membership of The CHPA is open to all hypnotherapists who have qualified through a course of training which meets the minimum standard for hypnotherapy training as laid adopted in the United Kingdom by the Hypnotherapy Profession Specific Board of the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council, the regulatory body for the complementary healthcare professions. This minimum standard is that the course for qualification must comprise not less than 450 hours, made up of interpersonal interactive tuition (120 hours minimum), supervised practice, homestudy and assessment preparation.
A list of schools which are accredited as teaching to this standard is available here
For hypnotherapists whose qualifications do not meet this standard, we can offer membership on the condition that they undertake to obtain (through a portfolio assessment), the Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma (HPD). This must be completed before their second annual renewal of membership, or within 15 months from the date of obtaining membership, whichever is the shorter period.
Details of the HPD by portfolio: available here
There are four categories of membership
a. Hypnotherapist membership, which is open to practising hypnotherapists holding qualifications in hypnotherapy recognised by the Association; such a member may use the designation MCHPA(Hyp).
b. Hypno-psychotherapist membership, which is open to practising hypnopsychotherapists holding qualifications in hypno-psychotherapy recognised by the Association; such a member may use the designation MCHPA(HyPsych).
c. Student membership, open to students studying for a hypnotherapy or hypnopsychotherapy qualification at training institutions recognised by the Association. Such a member may not use any designation
d. Non-practising Membership, open to qualified hypnotherapists and hypnopsychotherapists who are not practising but wish to retain membership for a limited period after ceasing practise or during a break in practice. The time permitted for a member to remain a non practising member will be determined by the National Executive Committee from time to time. Such a member may not use any designation.
Join The CHPA
Membership is from January to December of each year.
Membership Fees are outlined on the back of the application form.
Obtain membership application form application form
Benefits and obligations of membership
All Levels of Membership:
- Discounts on Training and CPD days.
- Communication publications such a The CHPA Newsletters
- Eligibility to participate in The CHPA working groups
Additional benefits for
Hypnotherapist and Hypno-psychotherapist Members:
- Certificate of Membership
- Listing on The CHPA website
- Notification of telephone/email enquiries made to The CHPA looking for a therapist
- A Vote at general meetings of the organisation
- Access to reduced insurance premiums
- Contacts for Supervision
- Free circulation via the organisation’s administration of publicity about courses/supervision offered by the member sending the publicity
Requirements to maintain hypnotherapist and hypno-psychotherapist membership:
- CPD certified attendance of 28 points over 2 calendar membership years for skills maintenance
- CPD personal development – 2 points over 2 calendar membership years
- Annual Supervision attendance of 4 sessions or as specified for practice hours achieved
- Having Liability Insurance cover