Membership of The CHPA is open to all hypnotherapists who have qualified through a course of training which meets the minimum standard for hypnotherapy training as laid down and adopted in the United Kingdom by the Hypnotherapy Profession Specific Board of the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council, the regulatory body for the complementary healthcare professions. This minimum standard is that the course for qualification must comprise not less than 450 hours, made up of interpersonal interactive tuition (120 hours minimum), plus supervised practice, plus homestudy and assessment preparation, and, at minimum, achieves the educational outcomes required by the UK General Hypnotherapy Standards Council (GHSC). Trained Practitioners who have they have individually been awarded the General Qualification in Hypnotherapy Practice by the GHSC in UK may apply for membership.
Where can I train to this standard?
A list of schools which are accredited as teaching to this standard is available here
What if my qualification does not meet the standard ?
For hypnotherapists who have been in practice for 5 years or more whose qualifications do not meet this standard, we can offer membership on the condition that they undertake to obtain (through a portfolio assessment), the Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma (HPD). This must be completed before their second annual renewal of membership, or within 15 months from the date of obtaining membership, whichever is the shorter period.
Where can I find details of the HPD through portfolio ?
Details of the HPD by portfolio can be found here: available here
There are four categories of membership
a. Hypnotherapist membership, which is open to practising hypnotherapists holding qualifications in hypnotherapy recognised by the Association; such a member may use the designation MCHPA(Hyp). It is a condition of practising membership that the candidate for membership undergoes vetting by An Garda Siochana.
b. Hypno-psychotherapist membership, which is open to practising hypnopsychotherapists holding qualifications in hypno-psychotherapy recognised by the Association; such a member may use the designation MCHPA(HyPsych).
c. Student membership, open to students studying for a hypnotherapy or hypno-psychotherapy qualification at training institutions recognised by the Association. Such a member may not use any designation
d. Non-practising Membership, open to qualified hypnotherapists and hypnopsychotherapists who are not practising but wish to retain membership for a limited period after ceasing practise or during a break in practice. The time permitted for a member to remain a non practising member will be determined by the National Executive Committee from time to time. Such a member may not use any designation.
Join The CHPA
Membership is from January to December of each year. Membership Fees are as follows:
€200 per year for practising members;
€100 per year for non-practising members;
€50 per year for student members, i.e. students studying for qualification as hypnotherapists or hypnopsychotherapists.
Obtain membership application form application form
Benefits and obligations of membership
Benefits for All Levels of Membership:
- Discounts on any Training and CPD days organised by The CHPA
- Communication publications such a The CHPA Newsletters
- Eligibility to participate in The CHPA working groups
Additional benefits for practising Hypnotherapist and Hypno-psychotherapist Members:
- Certificate of Membership
- Listing on The CHPA website
- Notification of telephone/email enquiries made to The CHPA looking for a therapist
- A Vote at general meetings of the organisation
- Access to reduced insurance premiums
- Contacts for Supervision
- Access to Garda Vetting
In order to retain eligibility to remain a member, practising hypnotherapist and hypno-psychotherapist members at the time of renewal of membership each year MUST :
- provide evidence of attendance at continuing professional development courses/programs approved by The CHPA and which relate to hypnotherapy and hypnopsychotherapy knowledge and skills. The required certified attendance must comprise a minimum of 28 hours over 2 calendar membership years
- provide evidence of personal development activities (e.g. self improvement programs, publishing articles, participating in The CHPA committee and sub-committee activities) – 2 points over 2 calendar membership years
- provide evidence of attending sessions with a recognised therapist supervisor on a minimum of 4 occasions in the year, or for the number of sessions specified for the number of the therapist member’s practice hours achieved.
- Have Liability Insurance cover, and be able to produce evidence of such.
The CHPA Privacy Statement
Clinical Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy Association CLG, The CHPA, gathers and processes your personal information in accordance with the relevant Irish Data Protection legislation and other, applicable laws.
- processes your personal information to meet our legal, statutory and contractual obligations and to provide you with our products and services.
- does not collect any unnecessary personal data from you and will not process your information in any way, other than as specified.
- takes your privacy very seriously and will never disclose your data to another organisation without your consent, unless required to do so by law.
- takes every reasonable measure and precaution to protect and secure your personal data, including several layers of security measures, in order to prevent unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure or destruction.
- will at any time it may engage the services of third party service providers in order to process your data ensure that any such processing is done in compliance with the applicable legislation, and within the terms of a formal, written contract.